How can you protect the environment?
(Jak można chronić środowisko?)
People haven’t been taking care of the Planet. There are more and more problems with the weather, climate, the air we breathe… Scientists say that in 50 years, 60 % of animals species will die out! We will all have to live in a dirty, polluted world with no clean water! Can a teenager do anything to prevent this disaster? The answer is “yes”!
- Don’t throw rubbish in the street – A very simple but important thing. Wherever you go there are rubbish bins. Make sure that you and your friends use them! Gum or chocolate package shouldn’t lay on the street!
- Clean up after your pet – Many people forget about it! It’s nice to have a doggie, but it’s also a huge responsibility. Take plastic bags with you when you go for a walk and when your dog finishes, clean after him/her.
- Bicycles – How many times did you ask your parents to drive you somewhere? Use bikes more often or just walk. You will get fit and you can be sure that you don’t produce fumes!
- Recycling – Many materials can be used many times. If bottles, cans, plastic and paper are thrown away with other things, they become just rubbish. Find special containers in your area! Save the world from rubbish!
- Artificial furs – Even if you are not planning to buy a fur coat, you can save animals by not buying leather products. Artificial materials can be just as good. Many famous people take part in campaign against animal products, so can you.
- At school – Take part in actions organised by your school: the earth day, cleaning the world, making posters, competitions where you have to use your knowledge about the environment. Learn about your world and how to keep it clean!
environment – środowisko
to protect – chronić
the air we breathe – powietrze, którym oddychamy
species – gatunki
to die out – wyginąć
polluted – zanieczyszczony
to prevent – zapobiec
a disaster – katastrofa
to throw rubbish – rzucać śmieci
rubbish bins – śmietniki
fumes – spaliny
recycling – utylizacja
cans – puszki
containers – kontenery
artificial furs – sztuczne futra
leather – skóra; skórzany
environmentally friendly – przyjazny środowisku
Ochrona przyrody to nie tylko nudna statystyka zanieczyszczeń! Jak bardzo ciekawa to dziedzina nauki, opowie w wywiadzie dla gazetki szkolnej Dan Bunnget, 17, wolontariusz organizacji ekologicznych z Portsmouth w Wielkiej Brytanii.
Interviewer: How long have you been interested in ecology?
Dan Bunnget: Well, I have been interested in ecology since I started thinking (laugh). And seriously… When I was 7 my father bought me a new book. It was entitled “Extinct species”. I was a little boy then but I saw the photos of the Tasmanian Tiger last seen in the Australian zoo or the Laysan Rail, an extinct bird from the Hawaiian Island and I understood I must do something to protect the Earth against us, the people!
I: What did you do then?
DB: I started from myself. I believe it’s what people should do – think globally, act locally (laugh). I encouraged my parents to recycle rubbish and I encouraged my friends to set up an organization. We called it SEO – School Ecological Organization.
I: What have you done so far?
DB: We’ve done a lot of things. We’ve raised food and money donations for our local animal shelter and we’ve rescued one horse from butchery. Now we’re preparing a campaign promoting saving water and other natural resources…
I: Good luck, Dan! Thanks to such people we hope to live in the less polluted world in the future.
DB: Thanks a lot, Brenda. I hope so.