1. First check how much money you can spend and divide it.
You don’t have to divide it evenly. Example: you have 120 zloty, parents, older brother and a little sister. You can divide it evenly (30 zloty each) or decide that you want to spend more on your parents (40 zloty each) than your brother and sister (20 zloty each), because if you don’t do it and spend all the money on one present, you will feel very bad – and you will probably have to borrow money from somebody!
2. A good present is a pleasure.
Don’t buy useful things, as they have to do it themselves.
3. A good present can be a luxury.
Don’t buy what is more, buy what is better. Buy things of good quality. Your mother will prefer lovely, expensive tights than a cheap sweater. Or some good quality body balm.
4. A good present can be funny.
A funny mug or tie will do. Or if you buy your parents a book entitled “How to live with
a teenager”. Laughter is the best present, they never have too much of this.
5. A good present can be sentimental.
A nice photo frame, a picture, a teddy bear. Some people are always happy with it.
6. A good present can be original.
This is a key to success. A golden fish perhaps? A sculpture made of your old shoe? Of course if you are creative enough.
7. A good present gives inspiration.
If you mother loves painting, buy her pastels – perhaps she will love drawing, too. For your little sister buy lots of plasticine, paints, puzzles. Something you can do things with. The time spent nicely is the best present.
8. A good present has a better wrapping.
Remember about ribbons and decorations – it must look great under the tree!
9. A good present is not repetitive.
Try to buy something different from what you bought last year.
10. First decide what you want to buy and then buy it, not the other way round.
Don’t go thinking that you will look around. Thinking is the main process, not shopping. Shopping must be only putting your thoughts into action.
Improve your vocabulary!
laughter – śmiech
wrapping – opakowanie
ribbon – wstążka, tasiemka