1. Get a vaccination. That’s a very good method, although it will not protect you against all kinds of flu. Also you can suffer from side-effects and even fall ill after the vaccination. But generally, it is worth doing, also because even if it does not protect you completely, you will be ill shorter time and the disease will be milder – even if it is not a flu!
2. Avoid crowds. In case of an epidemics, avoid places where there are lots of people, such as cinemas, concerts, crowded buses.
3. Exercise. It is proved that people who go to the gym, go swimming, running etc. – each kind of activity is good – much more rarely suffer from the flu. When you are active, your immune system works better.
4. Eat proper food. There are some kinds of food which help you to protect against flu and cold. Cooked, hot, spicy food is good in winter. Curry chicken, beef stew, tomato soup, mexican dishes, lots of garlic, spices and herbs, especially ginger. Forget about fruit yoghurt for breakfast and a cold sandwich for lunch – you must eat hot dishes. Don’t forget about vegetables and fruit. Oranges, tangerines and apples are good for the winter time.
5. Drink a lot – and not only tea and coffee as they both have a dehydrating effect. Herbal tea or ginger tea with honey is good.
6.Sleep well. Don’t study at night because when you sleep too little, your immune system might break down. Remember about fresh air and open the window before you go to sleep. In a stuffy room there are more viruses or bacteria. Also remember to keep your room humid enough. The simplest idea is simply to put wet towels on the heaters or simply hang them on the door.
7. Never ever go with flu, walk with flu, pretend it doesn’t exist. First of all, it is contagious and other people can fall ill because of you. Secondly, you can have very serious complications. So take some medicine with paracetamol and go to bed. You have a chance that your immune system will win with the disease. If you pretend you are feeling good, the disease is more likely to develop.
vaccination – szczepienia
side-effect – efekt uboczny
rarely – rzadko
contagious – zakaźny